Assessors have identified the presence of asbestos at Maitland’s 19th-century pumping station, Walka Water Works.

The site is now closed to the public until further notice as a precaution, while Maitland Council explores future use options for the site.

Maitland Councilโ€™s facilities team say they will be in contact with people and groups who have established or upcoming bookings to discuss alternative options.

The waterworks served as the sole water supply of the Lower Hunter towns from 1887 until 1929 when it was superseded by the Tarro Pumping Station.

Since its classification by the National Trust in 1976, the site has served as a free public reserve, with barbecues, picnics areas, a playground, walking trails and has become a popular venue for weddings and other private and community events.

Walka Water Works is owned by NSW Crown Lands and managed by Maitland City Council.

Maitland Council will be providing updates to the community with the outcomes of the additional testing through social media and the website at mait.city/WalkaClosure.


Spiegeltent Newcastle 2026