Direct from the ‘now I’ve heard everything’ files, the food tinkerers over at KFC have truly outdone themselves with their latest Kentucky Fried Cookin’ recipe – a popcorn chicken cupcake.
Yep, you heard right. The Popcorn Chicken Savoury Cupcake is made from two of the Colonel’s most iconic menu items – the ubiquitous popcorn chicken and potato and gravy which, of course, takes on the role of icing in this left-of-centre concoction.
And all of this rests on a savoury cornbread base making for a surprisingly harmonious recipe that is sure to have fried chook fanciers grabbing their whisks with gusto.
The new recipe has been created as part of the new Kentucky Fried Cookin’ series, which sees KFC partnering with a selection of well-known Australian chefs and foodies to make a variety of unique at-home dishes featuring KFC menu items.
The first episode of the new series stars KFC superfan Morgan Hipworth, owner of the Melbourne-based artisan bakehouse, Bistro Morgan.
The launch of the new Kentucky Fried Cookin’ series follows the successful 2020 lockdown iteration that offered up a range of unique dishes at home, including the Kentucky Fried Brekkie, Popcorn Chicken Nachos, Hot & Spicy Mac ‘n’ Cheese and Zinger Parmy.
Whether you consider yourself an avid baker or not, there’s nothing to worry about with this recipe! Simply follow the easy how-to guide below, and you’ll be able to create this indulgent cupcake in no time
Popcorn Chicken Savoury Cupcake (makes 15)
1 serve of large Potato & Gravy
1 large KFC Popcorn Chicken
For the cornbread cupcakes:
3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 tablespoons caster sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup canned creamed corn
125 grams melted butter
3/4 cup milk
– Preheat the oven to 180℃.
– In a large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and make a well in the centre. Add the remaining ingredients and gradually mix to combine.
– Divide between cupcake liners and bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown.
– Pour the gravy from the potato and gravy into a bowl. Spoon the remaining potato into another bowl and stir to combine the potato and any remaining gravy.
– Transfer the potato to a piping bag fitted with a round nozzle.
– Pipe the potato on the top to resemble frosting on a cupcake. Top with 4-5 pieces of popcorn chicken and then spoon on around 1/2 tablespoon of KFC gravy to garnish.