Boutique Hunter Valley producer, Silkman Wines were awarded this year’s top prize at the 2021 ICC Sydney NSW Wine Awards.
Silkman’s 2014 Reserve Semillon was awarded Best in Show at a ceremony on Friday, 10 December, at the International Convention Centre in Sydney.
“Nothing short of extraordinary and a true marker of the Hunter region as one of the best in the world,” Chair of Judges, Nick Spencer said.
Of the 21 Trophies presented to recognise NSW’s best wines, seven came from Hunter Valley Producers.
“As a region, we were thrilled to have so many of our wines recognised as gold medal winners at this year’s NSW Wine Awards,” Stuart Hordern, President of the Hunter Valley Wine & Tourism Association said.
“To go on and win a third of the trophies awarded, all from Hunter Valley producers, is an outstanding result and testament to the depth and quality of our wine producers. Special mention and congratulations to Silkman Wines for winning NSW Wine of The Year.”
Since 2013 Liz & Shaun Silkman have been awarded multiple times for their dedication and attention to detail in their wines.
Silkman Wines was named as one of the 10 Best New Wineries in Australia and they won best Semillon at the 2014 NSW Wine Awards, Top Gold at the Hunter Valley Wine Show for their 2014 Reserve Shiraz, and countless other medals around the country. Shaun was nominated as Rising Star of the Year at the 2016 Hunter Legends Awards and Liz was awarded 2016 Hunter Valley Winemaker of the Year, for the second time.
Along with the top prize, Silkman Wines were also awarded the Best Semillon and Best White in Show.
The 2021 ICC Sydney NSW Wine Awards trophy winners from Hunter Valley producers:
- Australia Post Trophy for Best Riesling ~ Pepper Tree Wines 2021 Stone Mountain Riesling (Orange)
- NSW DPI Trophy for Best Semillon ~ Silkman Wines 2014 Reserve Semillon (Hunter Valley)
- Finlayson’s Trophy for Best Chardonnay ~ First Creek 2019 Winemakers Reserve Chardonnay (Hunter Valley)
- CCL Trophy for Best White Blend ~ Saddler’s Creek Wines 2021 Winemaker’s Craft Wild White (Hunter/Hilltops)
- Charles Stuart University Trophy for Best Red Blend ~ Margan 2019 White Label Saxonvale Shiraz Mourvèdre (Hunter)
- Orora Trophy for Best Dry White in Show ~ Silkman Wines 2014 Reserve Semillon (Hunter Valley)
- NSW Governor’s Trophy for Best in Show ~ Silkman Wines 2014 Reserve Semillon (Hunter Valley)