Get ready to pass Go AND collect $200, Newcastle.
That’s because, the official Newcastle Monopoly launched at Newcastle Museum on Thursday.
Lord Mayor Nuatali Nelmes was on hand, with Dale Beckett from games company Winning Moves, and of course Mr Monopoly himself, to help mark the auspicious occasion in front of some of Newcastle’s littlest Monopoly fans.
Speaking at the launch, Nuatali revealed that her competitive streak comes to the fore when sitting with the family around a Monopoly board.
“I’m really excited. I have my daughter here today and we sometimes have game nights on a Wednesday night – most of the time they end okay but Monopoly ends in tears,” she revealed.
“I have three children – 12, 15 and 17 – and we cannot get through a game of Monopoly without someone arguing with someone else or someone swindling some money out of the bank.”
Dale Beckett added that an exhaustive consultation process with the Newcastle community about what streets and landmarks should be included on the board, has resulted in a ‘memorable Monopoly experience’.
So without further ado, here are the squares that make up Monopoly: Newcastle Edition!
• Brown – Blackbutt Sanctuary and King Edward Park
• Light Blue – Fort Scratchley, Newcastle Ocean Baths, Custom House
• Pink – Newcastle Show, Surfest and MacDonald Jones Stadium
• Orange – Hunter Valley Gardens, Hope Estate Winery and Beyond Ballooning
• Red – Westfield Kotara, Goldberg’s Café and Hunter Street
• Yellow – Newcastle Beach, Bar Beach and Merewether Beach
• Green – The Lucky Hotel, Newcastle Museum, Newcastle Grammar School
• Dark Blue – ANZAC Memorial Walk and Nobby’s Beach
To keep the party going, Mr Monopoly will also drop into Frontline Hobbies on Thursday from 3.30 to 4pm.
Meanwhile, Westfield Kotara will play host to a life-size Monopoly board on Sunday 13 and Monday 14 October (10am-2pm). There will be a Walk Around The Board competition where fans can win daily spot prizes. The Monopoly man will be roaming around the centre on Sunday from 10am to 12pm.
Monopoly: Newcastle Edition is available now from leading toy retailers across the region. RRP $59.99.
To find out more, visit www.facebook.com/NewcastleMonopoly/