With more than 40 artists being showcased across a whopping 100+ events, there’s no denying that the 2021 iteration of Newcastle Fringe is shaping up to be an absolute doozy.
Well, the doozy factor has been kicked up a notch with organisers announcing the launch of Fringe for Families @ The Station.
Running across the weekend of 20-21 March, Fringe For Families promises to offer up an action packed, fun filled adventure for the whole family and best of all, most of the action is free of charge.
Hunter and Central Coast Development Corporation has come on board as a sponsor for this year’s event and Acting Chief Executive Valentina Misevska said she was proud to see such events kicking off in the city centre.
“We are pleased to support an activation at The Station that attracts families, locals and visitors to the city, and we can’t wait to host this great event in March,” she said.
“With our new landscaping complete, Fringe for Families @ The Station is a great way for people to experience both the fringe and everything our space now has to offer.”
So here’s a rundown of what you can expect.
Saturday 20 March – 9am to 2pm
- Homegrown Markets – food trucks and artisans.
- Hannah Indigo Hoops and friends – stilt walking and roving entertainment.
- Newcastle Fire + Flow – mermaids and fairies to entertain the littlies.
- Teasers & Tasters – Fringe Artists – see what other shows the fringe has to offer with teasers throughout the day.
- Curious Legends – The Wish Dragon.
- Fringe Cultural Marketplace – get all the info you need about how & where to learn about drama, music, dance and art in Newcastle. Watch pop-up peformances.
- Workshops – Kids Theatre Workshop with Bree Cunningham (ages 7+) $10pp and Trash Art workshop presented by Trash Pixie (All ages) $6pp
Sunday 21 March – 4pm to 10pm
- Hunter Arts Bazaar – the Hunter’s premier artisan & design marketplace.
- Ukastle Ukestra – it’s ukuleles galore!
- Made in Newcastle’s Street Show Festival with artists such as The Pretty Amazing Jono, Shaun Swadling, Bravissimo Hoops, and Hannah Indigo Hoops.
- Workshop – Beginner’s Hula Hooping with Hannah Indigo Hoops (ages 7+) $7pp
- Music all evening – chill out or dance to the sounds of Julieanne McVey, Nerds & Music, Viagros, Breeze and MC Maynard.
- Festival Closing Party & Awards Ceremony – find out who won the Best Show, the People’s Choice and more before the Newcastle Fringe finishes for another year.
The Newcastle Fringe Festival is on from Wednesday 17 to Sunday 21 March. Fringe For Families @ The Station is on from Saturday 20 March to Sunday 21 March.