King Edward Park
Reserve Rd, Newcastle
King Edward Park was dedicated as a recreation reserve in 1863. Within the grounds was a bowling green and the Obelisk, built as a navigational marker in 1850; the focal point is a Victorian rotunda. The park has spectacular ocean views, Norfolk Island pines and a sunken garden usually ablaze of colour. On the southern boundary are the remains of the Shepherds Hill Battery and Gunner’s Cottage which were in regular use from 1890 to World War II. The park also has links with Newcastle’s penal past, with the Bogey Hole (or convict hewn ocean bathing pool) at the foot of the eastern cliff face. A popular place for family picnics and barbecues, and now a movie venue in summer.
The park also has a playground and public toilets. Carols by Candlelight held annually in December, as is the Mattara Hill Climb in October.