Travelling Film Festival Newcastle
Travelling Film Festival returns to Newcastle on the 22-24 June. Opening the Festival with The Breaker Upperers, executive produced by Taika Waititi (What We Do in the Shadows). It is a side-splittingly funny film in which New Zealand directors Jackie van Beek and Madeleine Sami star as best friends who run an unconventional business breaking up couples for cash.
Closing the Festival with American Animals, an unbelievable but true story of four college students who are determined to pull off one of the most audacious art-heists in history – an energetic, boundary-pushing thriller!
“We’re thrilled to bring the Festival back to Newcastle!” said Festival Manager, Karina Libbey. “With nine of the best films direct from Sydney Film Festival, from star-studded comedies to captivating dramas by award- winning directors, the local community have plenty of brilliant films to look forward to.”
FRIDAY 22 JUNE
7.00PM THE BREAKER UPPERERS (15+)
9.00PM Opening Night Reception
SATURDAY 23 JUNE
12.00PM ÁGA (18+) screens with short film BARBARA (18+)
– Award-winning Bulgarian director Milko Lazarov’s story of enduring love in frozen Siberia
2.30PM PIG (18+)
– A hilarious dark comedy from Iranian filmmaker Mani Haghighi, following a blacklisted director who is enraged that he is being ignored by a serial killer murdering famous filmmakers.
5.00PM DONT’T WORRY, HE WON’T GET FAR ON FOOT (18+)
– Oscar-nominated actors Joaquin Phoenix, Jonah Hill and Rooney Mara star alongside Golden-Globe nominee Jack Black in Gus Van Sant’s portrait of cult cartoonist John Callahan.
8.30PM FOXTROT (MA15+)
– Winner of the Venice Grand Jury Prize and eight Israeli Ophir awards, Foxtrot is a thrillingly inventive, tragic and funny examination of Israeli military culture.
SUNDAY 24 JUNE
11.30AM THE HEIRESSES (15+) screens with short film KAYA (15+)
– Double award-winner at the Berlinale Film Festival, this complex drama takes an unusual look at the lives of wealthy Paraguayan families through the tribulations of a lesbian couple.
2.00PM TRANSIT (15+)
– Award-winning German director Christian Petzold’s daring wartime drama follows a love story between World War II refugees, set in contemporary Marseille.
4.30PM JIRGA (15+) +Q&A After the screening
– Australian paramedic-turned-director Benjamin Gilmour’s film follows a former Australian soldier’s journey to redemption, filmed entirely in Afghanistan.
7.30PM AMERICAN ANIMALS (MA15+)
Purchase a Full Subscription and see the entire Festival for just $9 per film.
183 – 185 King St
Phone: (02) 4926 2233
Travelling Film Festival acknowledges the financial assistance of Screen Australia, Create NSW, Destination NSW and is supported by media partner ABC Newcastle and distinguished partner Princess Cruises.